Sunday, December 21, 2008

KC Update: Part I, Dead Mallard and Teal Wings

It's 5:31 a.m. here in lovely Kansas City and I am reporting live from my brother's house where I will be staying until making the crusade back to the frozen tundra we all know and love as balmy Minnesota. The drive down wasn't all that bad, though I had to blast out earlier than expected due to blizzard warnings. Supposedly the mother of all storms would traipse along southern MN on Saturday and Sunday, so I fired up Harry (my smokin' old man car named after my grandfather) and hit the bricks. Made it in seven hours flat. Pretty good.

Staying at my brother's is always a pleasurable experience that's sort of like an urban adventure. Upon entering my brother's house via the kitchen entrance I noticed that he has decided to chop off the wings of ducks he and my buddies have recently killed and tack them to the wall with thumb tacks. Sort of like a hick version of wall paper. This struck me as an extremely odd thing to do, but I also kind of expected strange things as such. My favorite part about these wings is that I asked my brother why he had a skinning axe (sort of a long handled hatchet that's razor sharp) laying on hood of his broken down F-150 that's in the drive. He said, "Well that's what I used to chop the wings off with." In that moment a fantastic image came to my mind.

I envisioned my brother and my buddies standing around outside drinking cans of Miller Lite after a day of duck hunting. They are smoking cigarettes and farting and saying "Yealm" the hick version of Yes that my brother and George invented while in college. All the while my brother is thwacking the wings off these poor, unfortunate mallard drakes and teal and using the steel hood of his old truck as a cutting board. There's almost a caveman like quality to this. I really enjoy that image mostly because it kind of horrifies me. It makes me think, What the fuck, dude? I have no idea how my brother and the guys came up with this idea, though I would not be suprised if it were Drew's brain-child. Now the only question about these wall-tacked-wings is: how long will they stay tacked to the wall? Is this simply something for the holidays? I'm putting my money on those wings staying on the walls until moves out, which might be never.

Stay tuned for more strangeness because I assure you there will be more. Oh, yes, there will be more.

Today, I'm heading over to my parents house to chill with them for a bit, but also snag my baby book so I can scan some pictures into my computer. I'll probably end up posting some of these pictures on this blog so you can see the snot-nosed version of myself.

No comments: