Tuesday, May 5, 2009

In Praise of Fusion: Kanye West and 1950s Visual Art Influence (Warhol & Pollock)

I love what Kanye West is doing in his music videos for Good Life and Heartless:

Both of these videos are excellent examples of how to borrow from previous artistic movements in a different art form and contributing to those already established forms as a way to create something fresh.

These videos are visual sugar, sonic joy, and flat-out enjoyable, smart narrative and rhyme. The next time I teach poetry, I'm pretty sure I'll do a couple units on Rap. I just love love love how much there is to learn about spontaneous turn and humor and earning intentionaly subtly and intentionaly raw emotion.

I could go on and on intellectualizing why these videos represent so much about what I believe art should do, but that would ruin the visual and musical integrity of these works. I would rather sit back, enjoy, and appreciate that this work is in the world.


Good Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su_zrW9WBVk

Heartless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWzlD7Lc6w8

No comments: