Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hunt for the Mysterious Bad Smell

Yes, it's a little like Hunt for the Red October; I just cannot locate either the origins or breeding ground of the pungent funk haunting my abode. This smells has wicked-good ninja skills. I have emptied trash, hurled trash, cleaned the trash cans, cleaned the bathroom, looked under the couch, looked in corners, peeped around in closets. All dirty dishes are clean. Nada. Something somewhere is producing an industry of smell.

It's a smart smell. I can't figure out exactly what the cause is like with spoiled meat or rice or laundry. Some smells are sneaky in the way they lay dormant but you can locate them by distrubing the funk. This smell is not dormant. It's omniscient. It's an all seeing, all knowing smell. This can mean only one thing: a drain smell.

I suspect that my kitchen sink drain has accumulated some serious jazz in its throat.

Okay... just a second...

It's not the drain, well, there's probably some problematic jazz in that drain, but I just now located where the empire of funk is. Not all dishes have been done.

Recently I made some yummy soup. I thought I cleaned out the stock pot. Not so much, I guess. I must have slid it into my oven while cleaning a couple of days ago. Bad, bad move.

I just pulled the stock pot out and said, "This can't be it. This is clean."

This was it.

I barely lifted the lid and the empire of funk attacked with its smell akin to biological weaponry. There was just a bit of the soup including chickpeas, black beans, sweet potato, grilled ham, and tomato left inside. It does not help that my oven is always slightly heated AKA incubator for accelerated production of NASTY.

Time to battle against the stock pot. The goal is to have this place of mine pretty spotless by this evening. It shouldn't be that hard especially considering the phrase "pretty spotless." Spotless, but please please please do not open THAT door. THAT door is not where the evil monkey lives. THAT door is not the portal to Narnia. THAT door holds back all quarantined nasty.

No comments: