Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hello, Again

It's a good feeling, returning to blog-world, though I never imagined myself a person to say that. Maybe I was going through blog denial for years due to zealous belief in paper journals. Wait. No. I was going through blog denial until beginning this little diddy of technological scribs and rants.

I've been absent for about three weeks and, upon this non-memorable return, quotes and images (some of them horribly cliche) enter my mind. For instance, I feel I've been a deep-running submarine on radio silence that's just now broken silence and the surface. Or maybe I am a the lone cowboy riding back into town at day-break after a long cattle drive to Texas or some other slaughter state. As for quotes, I can't help thinking of the Yeats poem, "Speech After Long Silence," (a work of beauty) though Yeats and I have nothing in common except, well, he couldn't spell well and I fumble vowels and those other thingies quite often.

Over the last three weeks I've been preparing for the semester of which I am pleased to report that I survived without the temptation to pack a sawed off shotgun. The first week started so well for me that I expect Oprah to call and ask if I am willing to share my success story with millions of weepy viewers at home. My answer to her is a proverb from the Willie Nelson section of the Bible, "You got the money, honey, I got the time." I'll sell my success story for cheap. Hell, I'll whore it out. Funding is tight at the Daveeeeeed Estate. I'm waiting for a bailout check from the federal government, but I'm neither a bank nor an auto maker, so I'll gladly take financial aid and agree to pay it back. Oh, yes, I'll take the financial aid.

I suspect a long post later. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tonight. Stay tuned and I will too. I'll leave you with a horribly macho insult I just picked up which I think is both nasty, frightening, and awesome.

Insult: Hey, motherfucker. I'm gonna punch two holes in your neck and then me and that guy are gonna bump dicks.

No comments: